Well, this sucks to write. Our plans to go full time in our RV starting in November are officially postponed until further notice. To say we are disappointed is an understatement. Add this to the Motley Crue, Def Leppard & Poison concert that’s also “postponed”. In two weeks we have had two thirds of our plans for Summer and Fall wiped out. Thank you Coronavirus, I hope you die!
Our plans to go full time were contingent on the college our son is attending moving forward with normal operations and class attendance. All communication sent out to students and families indicated that they were planning to do just that and an official decision would be released in mid-June.
Well here we are in mid-June and the official decision just came out. They are resuming normal operations and class attendance, YES!! But, only until November. Wait, what?! In order to reduce travel with the virus still spreading the students will go home at Thanksgiving break and will not comeback until the Spring semester, maybe. The remaining weeks of the Fall semester and finals will all be done remotely.
With this change there is no way we can move forward with our plans. Having an adult kid hanging out for the Summer while we all travel and enjoy life is one thing. Living in an RV for months while we work and he does school course work is a recipe for disaster. At best we will have to reassess the situation next Spring once the decision for students to return is made. At worst this becomes the new normal and we have four more years of waiting. Side note: There is no way we are waiting four years!!
If we have to find a silver lining to this it would be that College road trip 2020 is still a go which is going to be epic. Especially the two weeks after we drop our college student at school. Let’s just say if you like history, BBQ, booze and music you will want to follow us on Instagram and/or twitter for the return leg of our trip. We also got a healthy $1k refund after canceling our 3 month space deposit. But it still hurt to make that call!
Financially this is a tough pill to swallow. We have been paying for a home mortgage and a RV mortgage with the anticipation of making the move into the RV and ridding ourselves of all home related expenses. Now it appears we will be making double payments for at least 7 more months, if not years. In addition to that we will continue to have all of the other home related expenses as well. This is not a financial situation conducive to saving.
This is all still fresh and we are trying to digest this change. The disappointment and frustration we are feeling is rough. One thing is certain, we are not going to give up on our dream. We just don’t know how long we will now need to wait to make it happen.
This virus has caused so much to be lost, delayed and changed. We are fortunate that the impact to our family is only inconvenience and frustration and that our family is safe and healthy.
Time to start planning some weekend trips so we can distract ourselves from the heartbreak.